Thursday, December 15, 2011

Some Notes On Art Study & Living Books

While it might seem that I'm neglecting this little space;  rest assured our group has been meeting every month.  We have had two very nice gatherings since I last reported. 

November's meeting focused on Art Study and Appreciation.  We watched Eve Anderson's Art Study DVD and like each mom there, I was very impressed with this very simple technique.  The amount that a child can retain from just a few minutes of careful observation is just amazing to me. 

We also discussed the importance of allowing our children to experience art appreciation by means of practicing art itself.  Sometimes if there is a particular artist or art medium we are focusing on, it benefits the child to attempt it. Our little group is blessed with some pretty creative moms who grace us with some great art co-ops.  This has been a nice outlet for our children to experience and learn about certain artist.

This months meeting on the use of living books and sources of good books could have continued for hours, but, alas, we all needed to get home.  We all agree that sometimes a good book can very much capture the minds of our children and go a long way in providing them with good information.  There are just so many wonderful books that can very easily cover just about any topic.  One of the things that I enjoy most about living books is that my children can create relationships with them and later start making connections with others they have read. 

As the year comes to an end, I must say, I'm grateful for the moms that get together every month and discuss some wonderful philosophies of education.  We have been able to cover some great key Charlotte Mason topics including a book discussion of Catherine Levison's book.  Most import to me has been sharing with one another about this wonderful journey of home educating our children and feeling the support we give each other.

I'm excited to put together some more topics for next year and looking forward to discussing When Children Love To Learn by Elaine Cooper.  I'll post soon our schedule and topics. 

I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas and Holiday season with loved ones.

No comments: